Saturday, February 18, 2006

it is cold in here

It’s September.
It’s been a month, I’m here and I wish I could have gone back and see you guys, I wonder, why did I come here, here is too far away from home. And people are so close minded and dull.
I can’t get out of my apartment to walk around at night. It’s so scary and dark; there is no light out there, maybe 2, or 3 in the main street.
Here is a small village, filled with lots of farmers and cows.
University is packed with these girls covered up; head to toe in black, and men are all have beard, they don’t smell nice, because of their strict religion. They believe, if they smell nice, it is against God wish.
I’ve been asked to get covered up, like these strange girls. So I had to buy one of these big black shall, which is called “chador”, and now I’m look like a holy saint. I’m not attractive with this long, black thing covering all over me, and I don’t really care about it. I am just concentrating on my books and I’ve decided to get an A in all of the courses, I have taken.
I had to get Islamic science course, it was mandatory, and I couldn’t skip it. The teacher hates me, he wants to find an excuse to make me embarrassed in front of the students, he knows I am not a believer, he looks at my eyes and he gets annoyed, he told me several times that I don’t belong here. He is right, but I won’t back up. I stand still.

The boys are either bunch of geeks or lunatics, who just smoke joints, they are always high, I can tell, by their eyes. Here they don’t have anything to do just studying, or getting high. There is no place to go and have fun and there is no pretty girl to fall for, even if they are pretty, they are hidden, behind the chadors.

It was a wrong choice, I made; coming here. but I can’t take back what I said, if I do so, my parents won’t trust me anymore. They had warned me before; they knew everything about this place.
They reassured me, can’t handle this weird environment.
But I was so stubborn to listen, I wanted to try this big challenge, I wanted to be adventurer, and get to know different places and different people, with totally strange behaviors. Now I’m lost among these aliens.
Now I can’t say anything, I don’t like, them to think, I’m a coward, and I can’t keep my word.
I’ve missed you my sweet friend.
Say my hello to everyone.




It’s October. And it’s getting so cold in here. Here is a wasteland, its winter is too cold, and I’ve been told the summer is getting too hot. So unbelievable.
Everything is ridiculous down here. And I’m so worn-out, I’m studying mornings and nights, my marks are straight A’s, actually, I’m so proud, this is, the only thing which makes me keep going.

Darling, I have to go now. I have class in about half an hour; I don’t want to miss even one minute of the class. I am going to send this letter, on the way to school.
Miss you, say hello to everyone.

It’s January and I know I’ve not written to you since October, darling I have not forgotten about you, don’t worry, I did not get in to troubles. Everything is great, and here is wonderful lately.
I shall confess that I am in love. This love has made my life so cheerful here.

We met at school, he just got transferred here, he is so magnificent, he is exactly my type, he is what I’ve always wished as my dream man; impressive attitude, charming look, and so talented, darling I am so thrilled.
I am spending most of my time with him, we traveled together, I went to his city and it was fun and so romantic, that is why I didn’t come home for my reading week.
He is so wonderful and I am so content.
We both have the same courses. So we see each other everyday.

The only bad news; is my marks are awful lately, and I’ve failed one of my courses, I can’t concentrate, either on my books nor my teachers.
I’m just thinking about him, and my love towards him; mornings and nights. He’s love has occupied my life. But despite of my bad marks and my parents rage about it, I’m happy, and content, so nothing else really matters. I’m happy.

We will skip our classes, next week, we are going traveling again, and we will come back in 2 weeks.
By the way, don’t mention about him to my family. I haven’t told my parents about him yet, you know how they are. Now they will start blaming him for my bad marks.

One more thing, I shall say I am getting to love this city, it’s so peaceful and romantic, even I love my black chador, and it makes me more mysterious.
Everything here smells like fresh flowers; you should come and visit one day.
The stars are so close to me, when I stare at them at nights, I feel, I can pick them, if I stay up on my toes. These shining stars are one of the gifted beauties in the desert.
Oh darling I almost forgot to tell you, that I can’t spend the March break with you, I have to go to his town, and he wants me to meet his parents.
I’m sure you understand it.
I wish you the best on your birthday.
I’ll make it up to you. I promise.
Your’s saloomeh







.

i

No comments: