Sunday, November 16, 2008

Setareh Delzendeh


Besides being one of the most acclaimed Canadian-Iranian artists in Canada, Setareh Delzendeh is a down to earth; warm hearted and extraordinary human being.

The first time I met her, I wouldn’t have guessed that she is famous, if I didn’t read about her background, because of her earthy and warm character.

She is about 5.6foot tall with deep green eyes, white skin, and long curly hair. She colors some parts of her hair pink, blue, green and her own natural color is olive and she dresses up in such a strange, hip fashion.

She also has a poetic and spiritual character.

During my seven years of our friendship, I never saw her face without a smile.

Her enduring smile, exotic look, unusual clothes and her gentle speaking make her an unforgettable individual.

Setareh Delzendeh was born in July 11, 1979 in Tehran, Iran. She got her bachelor degree in Theatre Set & Costume Design from Azad University in Tehran, Iran.

She worked as a set designer for several Iranian movies including “Protest” by well-known Iranian film director Masoud kimiaei.

“I was fortunate to do that project. In my interview with the director, he asked me if I want to play the main role in the movie, I answered no, I told him that my passion is set designing, not acting. “I like the work behind the camera.” I said. The director was surprised; he told me that I am the first person whom answered no to his offer for acting in his movies.
He told me that he admires my passion and because of that he will give me the set designing job even though you are I wasn’t experienced enough.”

“After then I started getting serious job offers.” said Delzendeh.
Delzendeh directed a short film, “I have become,” based on Peter Handke's Self Accusation piece.
“I had a very low budget to make that movie, that’s why I asked my close friend, Pantea Panahiha, actress to play the main role and I did the rest of the job all by myself. It was a good experience.” said Setareh Delzendeh.

In 2002, she edited a documentary movie; “Non-Stop” by Afshin Liaghat. The movie won the “Audience Prize” in Milan film festival.

In 2003, she immigrated to Toronto, Canada and shortly after, she started working with well-known theatre directors and designers, such as Soheil Parsa and Astrid Janson.

“I was so afraid of my failure in a foreign country. It is very hard to get in to the art industry when English is your second language. At first, People didn’t take me seriously because I had a different accent, but I eventually proved otherwise.” Said Delzendeh

She designed set and customs for dance projects such as York university graduation shows, Fida and Meftahi dance performance in 2003, 2004 and 2005.

She also designed set, costume and lighting for several Iranian shows in Toronto, such as Bam Relief concert in Toronto Art center.
In 2004 to 2005 she worked as Astrid Janson’s assistant, the famous set designer, on an opera composed by Puccini, Lescaut which was performed in Russia.

In 2005, she worked as director assistant with Soheil Parsa, the Artistic Director of Modern Times Stage Company on “Macbeth.”

She also was a set designer and custom designer of “Fish Eyes,” written and performed by Anita Majumdar, “Nurse Jane Goes to Hawaii,” directed by Sandy Macdonald.
In 2006, Setareh was awarded with the “Theatre Ontario Professional Training Grant.” To be Astrid Janson’s assistant on “Home child,” directed by Martha Henry in can stage and Rigoletto composed by Verdi and directed by Tom Diamond

No comments: